Make sure these become a habit:
- Set realistic and attainable goals for ALL training sessions and/or workouts.
- You MUST warm up and cool down appropriately for each session.
- Use your favourite app to ensure training sessions are scheduled and you can record sets, reps, load, tempo and rest variables + any aches or difficulties you may have had in that session – great to refer back to for progress towards relevant goals.
- You and/or your coach needs to monitor ‘recovery to work ratio’ to ensure you dont over stress your system and overtrain.
- If you’re not progressing – but training hard – then your training load is wrong and your program isn’t built according to scientifically proven supercompensation principles.
- To achieve long term goals training needs to be planned. Ideally annually. This helps determine appropriate training loads from month to month – periodisation is aligned with supercompensation principles and the likelihood of overtraining is vastly reduced.
- Plan to assess, (re) test and/or enter competitions/races to determine the success of your current program. Do not be afraid to do this > review the outcome and discuss possible changes to your plan with your coach.